I've never been the type of person that liked working out in the cold. Even getting to the gym during winter was a trial because I didn't want to get out of the car and walk through the cold to get to the gym. I always prefer to be nice and toasty when I work out and finish up a sweaty mess. This can be accomplished if you run long enough on a treadmill, but I've found something way more productive.
Hot Yoga. LOVE IT.
Now, I'm not one of those crazies that practices in a facility with the temp over 100. Your body has to be able to maintain its internal temp. And I certainly don't walk in wearing only spankies and a sports bra. I don't want to see anyone's butt while I'm trying to tone mine. That's just gross. I joined Sunstone Yoga about 6 months ago and it is amazing. After only two weeks, I was so hooked I canceled my other gym membership. I knew that going in there and spending an hour on the treadmill watching all the douchebags workout only their arms (with poor form) and then stare at their abs in the mirror was never going to be satisfying.
During my first class, I didn't think that I would ever make it through a workout in that heat. Truly, while I was lying down waiting for class to start I began to think that maybe I was nuts for trying this. But, once you start moving you don't even notice the heat anymore. The sweat, yes. It's dripping right into your face and stinging the crap out of your eyeballs. So yeah, it's noticeable. And a little painful at first, but you get used to it. Its so weird. I really don't feel the heat.
The temperature of Fire Class at Sunstone is set at 98 degrees with 60% humidity. Notice anything familiar about those numbers? Your internal body temperature is just over 98 degrees and your body is 60% water. I guess when your internal and external temperature and water levels are the same you just don't notice the heat as much.
The sweat, however, is impossible to miss. It soaks your clothes, your hair, your towel, the mat underneath your towel, and the carpet around your mat. Totally nasty. Its bad enough that they provide recycled grocery bags to put your workout clothes in...and I use them...every class. When Yvan gives me a hard time I just throw the bag at him. Always grosses him out and shuts his mouth. Wet yoga clothes are pretty heavy! Side note...make sure you remove your mascara before class. Nothing like walking out of class into the dressing room and realizing that the day's make-up is dripping down your face.
Sweating is not the only great thing about hot yoga. It is such a challenge every time even though we are doing the same sequence of poses. It is the only workout I've ever done that I haven't needed a distraction to make it though. I didn't even notice until my third or fourth class that there wasn't any music. None. With the exception of the instructor talking and everyone breathing, there is no noise. Amazing. And this workout is HARD. My muscles shake so bad and sometimes when I leave I wonder if I'm going to be able to push down on the accelerator hard enough to get home. But, my body feels amazing. I actually have withdrawals when I'm not able to go. According to my doctor, I'm also an inch taller. My back doesn't hurt and its really helping me tone up. Did I mention its not boring?
If you've never tried yoga before, give it a shot. Just make sure you do some research on the kind of yoga offered at each studio and the temperature they keep the room. I think those factors make a big difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment